Wednesday 19 June 2013

Cambodian Hospitals Just Can't Get Enough

Cambodia is testing me, but I refuse to give in. After not even a week in the lovely SR I managed to have my first major bone break. The stairs at the volunteer house are deadly and trekking up them one night landed me with a broken metatarsal.

Initially I thought it was a sprain and was something I could walk off, but after realizing two days later that the giant black spot on my foot was a bruise and not dirt I figured I should probably go to the hospital.

After hobbling over to the local Khmer hospital (and getting an interesting education in Cambodian medicine) they told me I had a small crack, put me in a splint, and sent me on my way. I thought this was bizarre since the splint wasn't even protecting the broken bone in the first place, but I just let it happen since they (hopefully) have more medical training than I do. A splint rendered me useless at placement so I've spent most of the last week just hanging out with whoever ends up being home that day.




One evening I was out and a local Khmer man thought it would be funny to step on my clearly dead foot. An hour and a half of throbbing later I was finally able to move and go home. That was indication I should probably go back and get a full cast.

Stupidly enough I went back to the local hospital where they charged me $120 for the most outrageous and impractical plaster cast I have ever seen.

It looks like a crocheted sock. I could flop my foot around in the boot. I kept jokingly saying I could start keeping snacks in there because there was so much room. After I realized the impracticality of the thing I figured it would be best to go to the ridiculously expensive international hospital I should've been at in the first place.

$735 and a goodie bag full of medication later I managed to hobble out of the Royal Angkor Hospital with a proper cast that will feel like heaven when removed.

Needless to say my first few weeks in the country have been quite the experience, but I still never want to leave. I've been meeting great people and having a wonderful time, and I'll also be able to come home with some pretty interesting plaster souvenirs.

Last but not least! I got my very first tattoo last week and I've never been happier. It far surpassed my expectations and I've been wearing it with pride.



1 comment:

  1. sounds like a great party! hpows the volunteer work going?

    http://angkorwhatsup.blogspot.ca/2013/05/one-week.html

    ReplyDelete