Saturday 20 July 2013

Markets and Olympics!

Last weekend my students participated in a Junior Olympics put on by the volunteer organization Globalteer. Globalteer works with many of the NGO schools in the area to provide a sports education to children who would not receive it otherwise. Sports education like they provide is virtually non-existant in Khmer public schools.

The students spent several weeks working on their track and field skills, as well as their potato sack racing, egg and spoon racing, and three legged racing skills as well! Eventually they all gathered at Siem Reap Stadium, which contrary to what you might think, is one of the hardest things I've ever had to get a tuk tuk driver to find here, and competed away!

Each NGO school was given a country to represent, and Anjali House represented Kenya! I had to teach the younger students a Kenyan song and dance, which was an amusing experience for everyone involved because I know virtually nothing about Kenyan culture; we also had to make flags for our country, and Taj Mahal class (my classroom) killed it!



Following the Olympics, each school was given a certificate as well as some medals! Overall it was an extremely fun, albeit ridiculously hot day.

I've also decided I need to be somewhat touristy while I live here and actually take photos of daily life here in Cambodia. Everything seems so normal to me now, but I know when I go home seeing cows grazing in the middle of the city won't be so normal anymore.

Yesterday I decided to have a market adventure. Cambodians are smart and have realized using all parts of the animal is better than nothing! (something we take for granted in North America for sure). I'm also proud to say I've eaten some of the stuff in the photos, but I'll leave it up to you to guess what it could've been!











1 comment:

  1. Not sure about eating some of the food in the last few pictures! I know the kinds of things you will want to have when you get home!

    The kids look like they had fun at their Olympics Day - very exciting!

    ReplyDelete