Saturday 27 July 2013

Typhoid and Temples

I woke up Wednesday morning with a slightly upset stomach. Much to my surprise, half an hour later, I was burning up with a fever, so achey I couldn't move, had such a sore throat I couldn't even whisper, and felt like I was on death's doorstep.

I figured once I gained enough strength I would head on over to the doctor! He diagnosed me with tonsillitis, yay! He gave me a bag of medication and sent me on my way. I arrived home and within two hours my fever had skyrocketed and I was so out of it I was semi-conscious. So I headed on over back to the doctor, but this time with my roommate in tow as she was feeling ill as well! A thorough exam and blood test later we were both told we had salmonella typhi, aka typhoid. This is probably the most disappointing diagnosis I could've gotten considering I paid out the wazoo for the typhoid shot before I left home, but I guess it's better than dengue! There's 3 stages of typhoid and unfortunately mine came out the highest so I was admitted to the hospital and had my first overnight hospital stay ever! Needless to say I'm an expert in Cambodia's medical system after these few months.


However, I am now on a rigorous dose of antibiotics and slowly on my way to recovery! I've been given a bland diet (which I may or may not have swayed from one or twice ;)..) I was feeling well enough this weekend to head on over to Beng Mealea, which is another Angkorian era temple that was built in the 12th century that's roughly 70km from Siem Reap. Beng Mealea is the most perfect example of Mother Nature taking back what was once hers. The entire temple is in ruins, devoured by the tree roots that it once disturbed. It was definitely worth the MOTO!!! trip up there to see it. I've been dying to ride a moto ever since I got here and since Westerners can't rent them in SR (too many incidents) I had to resort to using our CVF staff as a driver. It was worth it though! Also, contrary to what you may believe it IS possible to fall asleep on the back of a moto..it happened to me several times, almost resulting in serious problems for me.






I've also developed an extremely bizarre food palette while here, including corn (I know mom and dad, don't be too surprised. Still probably won't like Canadian corn), cooked porks blood, fish sauce on almost everything, fermented fish paste (Khmer cheese aka. prahok), and an unhealthy amount of chilies.

I can't believe how fast time is flying here. This is the one trip I've been on that I have never wanted to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment