Tuesday 9 July 2013

Temples and Tattoos

Getting my first tattoo was thrilling experience, but it opened a Pandora's box to something terrible...I've fallen in love with tattoos. Naturally, with some slight impulsivity, I decided to get another. I knew as soon as the gun finished the first one that I was ready for another so I spent three weeks in an intense thought process deciding what to get.

One other particular Buddhist yantra stuck out in my mind. Originally I had trouble deciding between my first tattoo and what became my second tattoo when I was selecting designs for the first one. Angelina Jolie popularized the five lined yantra, which has protection against bad karma, curses, and danger and provides the wearer with good luck for the future and attraction. I was upset with myself for falling in love with a design popularized by a celebrity; I wanted something original. So I set out trying to find the same kind of concept, but done in a different way, and boy did I succeed. The outcome is fantastic and contrary to what everyone was telling me, rib tattoos do not hurt in the slightest.

I think I've finally satisfied my tattoo craving, at least for the duration of this trip.

Now that I finally have a non-casted foot and am not being attacked by bacterial stomach infections, at last I was able to go and visit the wonder that is Angkor Wat & surrounding temples. Contrary to what I expected Angkor Wat wasn't too impressive. The exterior/facade of the building is unreal but once I got inside I wasn't too blown away. It were the surrounding temples, such as Bayon and Ta Prohm, that I truly fell in love with. Something about exploring crumbling temples is more exciting than exploring one that is in one piece.



Each of the Angkorian era temples were built between the 10th and 12th centuries. They were built by various different kings and each was built in honor of someone different/for a different purpose. Some are more heavily influenced by Hinduism whereas some are more influenced by Buddhist style. Regardless, they're a wonder to see and I several things in and around the temples rendered me speechless.









I plan on exploring some of the other temples that are farther away from Siem Reap, and they have a tough act to follow so I hope they're impressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment